Skip to main content

Breaking Free from Chemical Rockets

Welcome back to my blog! This post is for the second Action Project of the STEAM class, Frontiers. This class has been about the frontiers of science and discovery in space and the oceans. We studied marine ecology, biology, geology, and physiology in the first unit. We also looked at technological frontiers in the maritime sector, such as ways to clean up ocean pollution, capture carbon dioxide, and rebuild coral reefs. In this unit, we have looked at the stars, planets, and galaxies around us. We have learned about how the universe came to exist and how humans began to study it. For this Action Project, we have been tasked with writing a research paper about a frontier of our choosing in the field of space exploration. For my paper, I decided to look into propulsion systems or the types of rockets that can bring humans or crewless spacecraft from the Earth's surface into orbit. Propulsion systems have been researched and built for many years, so in a general sense, they aren't precisely a frontier. However, propulsion systems that do not achieve thrust via a chemical or fueled rocket are a newer area of study that I have focused on. I hope you enjoy reading. 




I hope you enjoyed reading my research paper and perhaps learned a thing or two. When I started out on this AP, I spent a lot of time gathering information and in some cases gathered too much or not enough. I chose propulsion systems because I thought they would be very engineering focused and they were. Some of the information I collected was difficult to understand and it took some time to fully grasp what I wanted to write about. After having finished the paper, I am satisfied with what I have written and learned about. There is a lot of progress ahead for alternative propulsion systems which will bring humans further into space than we could have thought possible in the very beginning of our exploration. This also happens to be the final Action Project of my time at GCE. I am both happy and sad for high school to be over but I am excited for what is coming after I graduate. Thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is your Carbon Footprint?

This is the last Action Project of the Fuel class for STEAM. This unit focused on chemical reactions, carbon emissions, and inequalities. This unit was very short compared to the other two but still enough time to learn everything we needed to get to. When working on the chemical reactions we talked about how certain molecules reacted to from something else. The main molecules we worked with were oxygen (O2), carbon dioxide (CO2), and water (H2O). Since the unit was only a couple weeks long there was not much time for Field Experiences so the only one that we had was going to a water cooling facility in downtown Chicago. Here we learned about how this plant cools down water for nearby buildings by using ice. I thought this FE was really cool and it was interesting to hear about the projects that they did and how they got them done. A lot of their work when connecting their water to the buildings involves large pipes underground which can be a difficulty when in a busy city. One of thei...

Diddley Bows: One-stringed guitars

Welcome back to my blog. This post is for the second Action Project of the STEAM class: Light, Sound, and Time. This unit, sound, was all about how sound is made and what happens for humans or animals to perceive it. Sound travels as a longitudinal wave and is explained as vibrations coming from a source that we perceive to be sound. To start, we examined how the human ear worked and our range of audible frequencies compared to infrasound and ultrasound which humans can’t hear. We then looked at the speed of sound and how it changes based on the medium it travels through. Following the understanding of how sound travels, we investigated traveling faster than the speed of sound or breaking the sound barrier and also the Doppler Effect. Lastly, we looked at stringed instruments like guitars and found how they make sounds. We also had one Field Experience at Guitar Center to look at the guitars and other instruments there. For this Action Project, the task is to create a diddley bow which...

How Should We Practice Kindness and Respect?

Welcome back to my blog. This post is for the second Action Project of the Humanities course: A Nation's Argument. In this unit, we have been investigating how a nation contradicts itself. We started by looking at the United States Supreme Court and valid and sound arguments. We then moved on to logical fallacies and the Scott versus Sandford Supreme Court case from 1857. For Field Experiences, we spoke with Northwestern Law Professor Paul Gowder and met later with 40th Ward Chicago Alderman Andre Vasquez. For Prof. Gowder, we talked about the rule of law in the United States and Critical Race Theory. We talked with Alderman Vasquez about what being an alderperson means and "consent of the governed," which the United States is based on. For this Action Project, we have been asked to look through GCE's student Social Contract in the Family Handbook. In this Social Contract, we are looking for something that we find is a contradiction or want to amend. One section I fou...