Skip to main content

Diddley Bows: One-stringed guitars

Welcome back to my blog. This post is for the second Action Project of the STEAM class: Light, Sound, and Time. This unit, sound, was all about how sound is made and what happens for humans or animals to perceive it. Sound travels as a longitudinal wave and is explained as vibrations coming from a source that we perceive to be sound. To start, we examined how the human ear worked and our range of audible frequencies compared to infrasound and ultrasound which humans can’t hear. We then looked at the speed of sound and how it changes based on the medium it travels through. Following the understanding of how sound travels, we investigated traveling faster than the speed of sound or breaking the sound barrier and also the Doppler Effect. Lastly, we looked at stringed instruments like guitars and found how they make sounds. We also had one Field Experience at Guitar Center to look at the guitars and other instruments there. For this Action Project, the task is to create a diddley bow which is a one-stringed guitar. With this instrument, we would not only try playing it but also use it to explore the different science principles learned earlier in the unit. I hope you enjoy reading about my diddley bow.

Diddley Bow Side, GS, 2022

Diddley Bow Top, GS, 2022


How to build a diddley bow:
To make this diddley bow I used a piece of wood, a tin can, a battery, a guitar string, and some screws. To assemble the diddley bow I made a hole in the can with a nail and put the guitar string through the hole to create the resonator. The hole in the can is the bridge of the guitar. One screw is used as a tuning peg on the opposite end of the wood or soundboard and the battery is used as the nut for the string. The other screws were used for keeping the can and battery in place. As shown in the top view picture, I have marked where the harmonics are on my diddley bow's neck or bridge.

Diddley Bow Sketch, GS, 2022


How a diddley bow produces sound:
When you pluck the string of a diddley bow, it vibrates. The vibrations are sound waves that can be interpreted by our brains. The vibrations from the string travel to the can where it resonates and produces the sound waves that travel through the air. Tightening or loosening the string can affect the pitch of the sound. The pitch can also change with the length and thickness of the string.

Here is an audio clip of me playing my diddley bow:


Demonstration of science principles:
My diddley bow demonstrates many scientific principles that we have covered in this unit. Because the instrument has strings, it can be plucked to create vibrations or sound waves. For the sound to come from the instrument and reach the ear, it vibrates the air molecules and travels in compression or longitudinal waves. The diddley bow has a single string that is fixed on both ends which when moving creates a standing wave. At each end, some points that do not move are called nodes, and points that move the most called antinodes. The pattern a wave moves in is called a wavelength and the frequency determines whether a pitch is low or high. The amplitude of the wave is the displacement of a wave from its resting position and in a sound wave, it determines the volume.

Measurements for the diddley bow:
Length of string: 24.01 inches
Diameter of string: 0.052 inches
Height from wood to battery string: 0.75 inches
Height from wood to can string: 1.5 inches
Width of wood from the battery to can: 24 inches
Radius of can: 1.5 inches
Height of can: 4.5 inches


Diddley Bow Math, GS, 2022


Math concepts:
To sketch out my diddley bow, I drew it as a trapezoid which is shown in the image above. To get the area of this trapezoid I used the formula: Area=1/2(b1+b2)h. For these variables: b1,=0.75 inches, b2=1.5 inches, and h=24 inches. After solving this, the area of my trapezoid was 27 inches squared. I also looked for the angles of the sides in my trapezoid. First, I used the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of my string from the battery to the can which is 24.01 inches. Then I used the inverse tangent to find the “upper angle” of the trapezoid which equaled 88.21 degrees. Using this number I then found the “lower angle” by subtracting it from 90 and that equaled 1.79 degrees. To get the whole angle of the trapezoid I added 90 and 1.79 which equaled 91.79 degrees and that gives me 360 degrees after adding up all of the angles.

Calculations for the resonator were also required so I found the volume of my can. The formula for volume is Volume=𝜋r^2h. The radius or “r” was from the edge of the can to the middle where my string was which equaled 1.5 inches. The height or “h” was how tall my can was which measured to be 4.5 inches. Using the formula I found the volume of my resonator was 31.81 inches cubed.


Diddley Bow Harmonics, GS, 2022

Harmonic Markings, GS, 2022


Harmonics:
Using an online tuner, I found the frequency of the open note of my diddley bow. I did this by plucking the string multiple times because each time is not going to come out as the same note. After a few plucks, I determined the most common frequency of the open note was 57.7 hertz. Using the wavelength formula, wavelength=velocity/frequency, I divided 343 meters per second (our common speed of sound) by 57.7 hertz. This equaled 5.94 meters. My soundboard shows the different harmonics of my diddley bow and I calculated the frequency and wavelength of them. For the second harmonic, the frequency was 115.4 hertz and the wavelength was 2.97 meters. For the third harmonic, the frequency was 173.1 hertz and the wavelength was 1.98 meters. For the fourth harmonic the frequency was 230.8 hertz and the wavelength was 1.485 meters. This pattern from the first to fourth harmonic shows that each time you go up a harmonic, the frequency is increased from the original by 2 times, 3 times, or 4 times. In turn, the wavelength decreased by half, a third, or a fourth of the original.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my diddley bow. I had a lot of fun working on this Action Project. I always like to build things so making the diddley bow was right up my alley. It was interesting to see the other diddley bows my classmates made because all of them are different in their own way and can create higher or lower-pitched notes. If I could do it again, I would maybe try to add more strings on the diddley bow and see how that compares to the original one. I think building diddley bows could be a nice project for younger kids to teach them about sound and also be nice to create an instrument. Maybe I inspired you to make a diddley bow. Again, thank you for reading and I hope to see you in the next blog. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Free from Chemical Rockets

Welcome back to my blog! This post is for the second Action Project of the STEAM class, Frontiers. This class has been about the frontiers of science and discovery in space and the oceans. We studied marine ecology, biology, geology, and physiology in the first unit. We also looked at technological frontiers in the maritime sector, such as ways to clean up ocean pollution, capture carbon dioxide, and rebuild coral reefs. In this unit, we have looked at the stars, planets, and galaxies around us. We have learned about how the universe came to exist and how humans began to study it. For this Action Project, we have been tasked with writing a research paper about a frontier of our choosing in the field of space exploration. For my paper, I decided to look into propulsion systems or the types of rockets that can bring humans or crewless spacecraft from the Earth's surface into orbit. Propulsion systems have been researched and built for many years, so in a general sense, they aren'

Food, a Human Right?

In our Humanities or SDGs class, Sustainable Development Goals, we were talking about the certain goals that could be thought of as a need to be a human right. The options were no poverty, no hunger, and quality education. The goal that I chose was number two, no hunger. I believe that food should be a human right because it is primarily a basic need. We need food to survive and if we do not have it we will obviously die, since that is the only alternative. Before then we went on a field experience to Lincoln Park Community Services in Chicago. There we experienced people who are hungry and we also as a class, cooked for the people that attended the lunch. I personally enjoyed this because I was able to talk with people that needed food and they were really appreciative of the food that they had been given. This led to the action project which is an essay about our chosen goal. The essay is below. To, Hiu, LPCS 2019, One of the food items cooked was chicken. Could you imagine

Opposing Opinions

Welcome to my blog. This is the first Action Project for the winter term class Forbidden Books. In this unit we read the book, Fahrenheit 451  by Ray Bradbury. This book was banned because of its description of burning literature, mentioning abortions, suicide, murder, and drugs. In many schools this book has been prohibited from the curriculum due to its story. After reading this book myself I can understand why some schools or people would not want children to read it. We have also observed other censored books such as Green Eggs and Ham  by Dr. Seuss. In these short assignments we tried finding why people would censor these children's books. In this unit we talked about Socrates and his suicide as a result of being charged for corrupting the youth in the teachings he believed and followed. For this Action Project we had to create a Socratic Dialogue about any topic. During Socrates' trial he questioned his accuser, Meletus. Socrates tried getting Meletus to come to a realiza