Skip to main content

The Life of Ginger

Welcome back to my blog! This is a very different experience for all of GCE since we are all writing our first action project of the term from home. In fact, everything about our action project was done at home including the classwork, tests, assignments, and mini projects. Currently we are all facing a global pandemic which means self quarantining and away from our friends. Through this we have continued to learn and go on with our average school day. This spring term is all about food and this class is called Food For Thought in the Humanities course. The point of this first action project was to create a story of our life if we were a food ingredient that we chose which was from a dish that means a lot to us. The ingredient that I chose for this AP was ginger. One of our assignments before the AP was to interview someone in our family that knew a lot about our family's culture and history with food. I decided to talk with my aunt and we discussed one of our family traditions which is a Chinese New Year's dinner. My aunt and uncle went to China many years ago where they adopted my cousin. They also found a dumpling recipe that was native to the area. This recipe is used annually for the dinner and ginger is included in the dipping sauce for the dumplings. We also spoke of how it is important to remember and share our family history. In this post there is the script of my story as ginger and the presentation link that goes with it. Enjoy!

Presentation: https://prezi.com/view/ebYpGF5FbndoxE2wsuVs/

I am ginger. I am part of the ginger family and my root is used as a spice and a folk medicine. My relatives are turmeric and cardamom which are also native to South Asia. My taste is quite unique to my relatives and other plants. I am a very flavorful root. I was first found in Southeast Asia or south of China. When I was found I was traded along the Silk Road into China and India. Eventually I began to be traded throughout the Mediterranean. At the eastern end of the Silk Road in China, there are many cities where I was traded and exchanged often. I was first domesticated in the 1st century CE in China where I was mainly grown for medicinal purposes which were of high value. I have been used for tonics, digestive aids, and a lot more. Today I am very easy to find in markets and grocery stores.

Through trading I made it into India where I was used for something different than medicine. I began to be used as a spice in many foods. Because I was being included in a large amount of dishes, my popularity grew and so did the demand to have me. I was soon to become an important ingredient in many parts of the world. More trading went on and I found myself in Arabia being used for spices. Later I traveled to Egypt where I was found in cooking and used medically. At this point I had a lot of popularity. There was a large demand for me in Asia and the Mediterranean. I had become a very valuable spice and medicine for large parts of the known world. My popularity had started to spread into Europe and I was traded frequently. I was exported from India to Rome where I became a popular spice to have and sell. I was used in many foods and medicines inside Rome. I was sold in places around Rome increasing the demand for the need of spice. After the Roman Empire fell in the 15th century CE I had dropped in popularity but still had a use.

Over time I traveled the world through trading and started to be grown in many different places. I became very popular in the United States and I was being shipped across oceans to meet the needs of hungry Americans. Around 16 years ago in China I was found in a dumpling recipe as a dipping sauce by a couple Americans in the city of Xi’an. These people had found me in a food that they really liked and decided to take the recipe back. While they were in China they decided to adopt a very young boy. This child was the start of tradition for the family reminding them of their adventure in China and their wonderful experience of bringing home a child. After they arrived back in the United States I soon met them again where I was used in the recipe they had found for many years and I am still used today. Every February I am used in the dumpling recipe by the family and sometimes there is another family with them. One thing that I always hear at this time is, “This recipe has a lot of value to us since we aren’t in China and it can be hard to make connections to home when you are not there. There is also great value in honoring our history and recreating experiences while we are not in the place of this recipe’s origin.”

My family tree, GS

The final picture in the presentation is a photo of this year's Chinese New Year dinner. Just above is my family tree. This was from an assignment earlier in the class. I had the dinner with the left two columns of my family or not including my grandparents. I enjoyed working on this AP although it was slightly difficult to research my ingredient. This action project was different, and the next step up. Doing everything from home was a challenge and not being able to have full access to resources we would have in our main building but we all made it work. Hopefully there is not too many posts that we have to create within the time of this pandemic but we have to work with what we got. Thank you for reading this and stay safe.

Sources:

Alexis, Christine. “China and the US: the World's Largest Trade Route Continues to Thrive.” DB Schenker, 14 Feb. 2019.

Bode, Ann M. “The Amazing and Mighty Ginger.” Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd Edition., U.S. National Library of Medicine, 1 Jan. 1970.

“Ginger.” Ginger | Silk Routes.

“Ginger History.” InDepthInfo.

“Ginger History - Origin and Regional Uses of Ginger.” Ginger History - Origin and Traditional Uses of Ginger.

“Ginger Root.” Produce Blue Book.

Ogden Publications, Inc. “Know Your Spice: A Brief History of Ginger.” Mother Earth Living.

Reddy, Jagdish. “Ginger Cultivation Project Report, Farming Economics.” Agri Farming, 13 Nov. 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Free from Chemical Rockets

Welcome back to my blog! This post is for the second Action Project of the STEAM class, Frontiers. This class has been about the frontiers of science and discovery in space and the oceans. We studied marine ecology, biology, geology, and physiology in the first unit. We also looked at technological frontiers in the maritime sector, such as ways to clean up ocean pollution, capture carbon dioxide, and rebuild coral reefs. In this unit, we have looked at the stars, planets, and galaxies around us. We have learned about how the universe came to exist and how humans began to study it. For this Action Project, we have been tasked with writing a research paper about a frontier of our choosing in the field of space exploration. For my paper, I decided to look into propulsion systems or the types of rockets that can bring humans or crewless spacecraft from the Earth's surface into orbit. Propulsion systems have been researched and built for many years, so in a general sense, they aren'

Food, a Human Right?

In our Humanities or SDGs class, Sustainable Development Goals, we were talking about the certain goals that could be thought of as a need to be a human right. The options were no poverty, no hunger, and quality education. The goal that I chose was number two, no hunger. I believe that food should be a human right because it is primarily a basic need. We need food to survive and if we do not have it we will obviously die, since that is the only alternative. Before then we went on a field experience to Lincoln Park Community Services in Chicago. There we experienced people who are hungry and we also as a class, cooked for the people that attended the lunch. I personally enjoyed this because I was able to talk with people that needed food and they were really appreciative of the food that they had been given. This led to the action project which is an essay about our chosen goal. The essay is below. To, Hiu, LPCS 2019, One of the food items cooked was chicken. Could you imagine

Opposing Opinions

Welcome to my blog. This is the first Action Project for the winter term class Forbidden Books. In this unit we read the book, Fahrenheit 451  by Ray Bradbury. This book was banned because of its description of burning literature, mentioning abortions, suicide, murder, and drugs. In many schools this book has been prohibited from the curriculum due to its story. After reading this book myself I can understand why some schools or people would not want children to read it. We have also observed other censored books such as Green Eggs and Ham  by Dr. Seuss. In these short assignments we tried finding why people would censor these children's books. In this unit we talked about Socrates and his suicide as a result of being charged for corrupting the youth in the teachings he believed and followed. For this Action Project we had to create a Socratic Dialogue about any topic. During Socrates' trial he questioned his accuser, Meletus. Socrates tried getting Meletus to come to a realiza