Skip to main content

How To Make A Dreamcatcher

This is the second and final Action Project in the units of the Who Am I class in the Humanities Course. This unit was called Doubt and Dream. For a decent amount of this unit we talked a lot about our dreams and what they mean. We talked more about philosophy and psychology like Continental Rationalists or British Empiricists and the Freudian analysis. There were a few Field Experiences that we embarked on such as the Continuum Center, The Art Institute, and also Cheetah Gym where we learned about the philosophy of jujitsu. This final action project was about making a dreamcatcher and explaining what it symbolizes and what it means to us. Everyone's dreamcatcher was different because it is made to represent you and everyone is different. The materials we used for the dreamcatchers were lace, string, wires, and beads. My dreamcatcher and everything about it is below.

GHS, 2020


The center of my dream catcher symbolizes remembrance and acceptance of death. We all know that we are going to die someday and we need to remember that we are not invincible. Sometimes we do not want to accept that fact that we will die even though it is inevitable. The phrase for this is Memento Mori and that is a great symbol that represents us as a mortal person. There are many positive elements that I would like to pass through the dream catcher. In a dream catcher the string or web in the inside can represent emotions and your personality. These emotions are courage, bravery, acceptance, happiness, creativity, optimism, balance, strength, and curiosity. I chose these because they are all pieces of my identity that I would like to gain or advance. Your identity is a key part of who you are and your traits can help you find who you are. I would like my dream catcher to filter out negative elements such as fears and pains. Some fears that would be good to be filtered out are the fear of death and loss. Having these negative elements exist in your dreams may not be pleasant and you might not want to have them exist in your dreams all the time. Most of my dreams include death and loss and I think they are there because it is how I begin to face the fears. If these fears are taken out of my dreams I might lose the ability or not be able to learn to face those fears that I have. That also ties into the memento mori idea because accepting death is a way to face that fear.

When planning and designing the dreamcatcher my id was telling me to only use my instincts. These instincts were to have the fears be filtered out of my dreams and eliminated the next day. My superego was trying to tell me to think about how I really feel. Maybe the fears that appear in my dreams are there for me to face the fears and learn from them instead of being afraid. John Locke was an empiricist who wanted to know many things. One of these was the question of where we get our ideas from. Through this he formed the primary and secondary qualities. The primary qualities are the size or weight of something since they are what is lying on the objects themselves. The secondary qualities are like color or taste because they vary from person to person. Not everyone will think a certain object has the same taste like a lemon. Some people may find the lemon sour and others may think of the lemon as sweet. I believe the primary qualities in a dream are what we originally see but there is something more to it like what we may have heard or what was going on in the background that wasn’t our main focus.

René Descartes had the idea that there is a constant interaction between the mind and the body. I believe my mind and body interact when I am asleep because if I have a dream where I get physically hurt, I might feel it when I wake up. This could be the way our minds are interacting with our bodies. Even if we do not feel pain, most people move around while they sleep and that is an interaction. A lesson I learned when talking about a dream I had with my cousin was to try and help everyone you can. This can be very important in the real world because someone might need help and if I can help them I should.

Overall, I thought this action project was a fun one because it was cool to build the dreamcatchers and also share some of our experiences in dreams with others. I hope that this may encourage some people to think about their dreams and try to understand what they are seeing and how they interact within the dream. I think that people can benefit from this if they know how to analyze and interpret their dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Free from Chemical Rockets

Welcome back to my blog! This post is for the second Action Project of the STEAM class, Frontiers. This class has been about the frontiers of science and discovery in space and the oceans. We studied marine ecology, biology, geology, and physiology in the first unit. We also looked at technological frontiers in the maritime sector, such as ways to clean up ocean pollution, capture carbon dioxide, and rebuild coral reefs. In this unit, we have looked at the stars, planets, and galaxies around us. We have learned about how the universe came to exist and how humans began to study it. For this Action Project, we have been tasked with writing a research paper about a frontier of our choosing in the field of space exploration. For my paper, I decided to look into propulsion systems or the types of rockets that can bring humans or crewless spacecraft from the Earth's surface into orbit. Propulsion systems have been researched and built for many years, so in a general sense, they aren'

Food, a Human Right?

In our Humanities or SDGs class, Sustainable Development Goals, we were talking about the certain goals that could be thought of as a need to be a human right. The options were no poverty, no hunger, and quality education. The goal that I chose was number two, no hunger. I believe that food should be a human right because it is primarily a basic need. We need food to survive and if we do not have it we will obviously die, since that is the only alternative. Before then we went on a field experience to Lincoln Park Community Services in Chicago. There we experienced people who are hungry and we also as a class, cooked for the people that attended the lunch. I personally enjoyed this because I was able to talk with people that needed food and they were really appreciative of the food that they had been given. This led to the action project which is an essay about our chosen goal. The essay is below. To, Hiu, LPCS 2019, One of the food items cooked was chicken. Could you imagine

Opposing Opinions

Welcome to my blog. This is the first Action Project for the winter term class Forbidden Books. In this unit we read the book, Fahrenheit 451  by Ray Bradbury. This book was banned because of its description of burning literature, mentioning abortions, suicide, murder, and drugs. In many schools this book has been prohibited from the curriculum due to its story. After reading this book myself I can understand why some schools or people would not want children to read it. We have also observed other censored books such as Green Eggs and Ham  by Dr. Seuss. In these short assignments we tried finding why people would censor these children's books. In this unit we talked about Socrates and his suicide as a result of being charged for corrupting the youth in the teachings he believed and followed. For this Action Project we had to create a Socratic Dialogue about any topic. During Socrates' trial he questioned his accuser, Meletus. Socrates tried getting Meletus to come to a realiza