Skip to main content

The Commutative Property of Addition



     In our algebra class, we as a class, created the guidelines to give our own presentation about one mathematical property of our choice. I chose the Commutative Property of Addition. This presentation required two different mediums while having the decision of three. These mediums were, image, sound, and video. For my project I chose to use image and sound. For my image, I drew an example of the property I picked and for my audio, I recorded myself while giving the presentation. With these two mediums, I can give a proper explanation and show my understanding of the Commutative Property of Addition.

     My first medium explaining the Commutative Property of Addition is image. For this medium I drew two pictures giving a brief example of the property I chose. In this first drawing there is a purple ball at the top of the stairs and a red ball at the bottom. There are still two balls in total. Just because they are separated from each other does not mean that they are parts of two different equations. In the second drawing there is the red ball at the top of the stairs and the purple ball is at the bottom. The only thing that changed was the location of the balls. They are still part of the same equation and there are still two balls total. This shows the Commutative Property of Addition because the only thing changed in those two drawings was the order of the two balls. The Commutative Property of Addition says you can get the same answer no matter what if you change the order of the numbers as long as you are still adding. In this case, we were still adding the balls together and only changing their position.


                        

     The second medium I chose was audio. For this, I decided to record myself while giving the presentation instead of  pre-recording it. I have also decided that I would write in here what I will say when I give my presentation. By doing this recording I can show (not only my teacher but other people reading it) that I understand this mathematical property. By saying the basic examples rather than one just reading it on a slideshow presentation, you can really think of other examples that would be related to the property. You don't just think of it as something there on the slide. It is there because even though it might be very simple, it can still mean a lot to the person listening.     The Commutative Property of Addition. The definition of the Commutative Property of Addition is: the numbers in an equation or expression can be added in any order and and you will get the same answer. An example of this could be one plus two equal three and two plus one equals three. My first medium was image and I chose to draw pictures to be examples of the Commutative Property of Addition. In this drawing here, there is a purple ball at the top of the stairs and a red ball at the bottom. There are two balls in total. Just because they are separated from one another does not mean they are part of different expressions. In the second drawing the red ball is at the top of the stairs and the purple is at the bottom. The only thing that changed was the location of the balls. They are still part of the same expression meaning there is still two balls total. The explanation of this would be: this shows the Commutative Property of Addition because the only thing changed in the drawings was the order or location of the balls. The definition of this property says that you can get the same answer or have the same total in this case no matter what if you change the order of the numbers and are still adding.      I would then ask if anyone had any questions which is not necessary to include in this post here. However I was prepared to answer questions if they came up. According to the rubric I had to create two pieces of art or mediums which I did, image and audio. I also wrote a paragraph about each medium and how it relates to the property. I also was required to give my presentation which I am prepared for and create a blog post like this one here. The final part is that my work does not have any writing errors in it. I feel that from the work I have done, I have given a good explanation of the Commutative Property of Addition and can show my understanding with lots of evidence to prove it. If people that are doing a project similar or just browsing, I hope this helps or is useful in any way for you. The process of making piecing this project together took a little time. With the ease of access by using a computer the drawings were not as hard as they would be on paper. Overall I think this project was a good start to my year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diddley Bows: One-stringed guitars

Welcome back to my blog. This post is for the second Action Project of the STEAM class: Light, Sound, and Time. This unit, sound, was all about how sound is made and what happens for humans or animals to perceive it. Sound travels as a longitudinal wave and is explained as vibrations coming from a source that we perceive to be sound. To start, we examined how the human ear worked and our range of audible frequencies compared to infrasound and ultrasound which humans can’t hear. We then looked at the speed of sound and how it changes based on the medium it travels through. Following the understanding of how sound travels, we investigated traveling faster than the speed of sound or breaking the sound barrier and also the Doppler Effect. Lastly, we looked at stringed instruments like guitars and found how they make sounds. We also had one Field Experience at Guitar Center to look at the guitars and other instruments there. For this Action Project, the task is to create a diddley bow which...

What is your Carbon Footprint?

This is the last Action Project of the Fuel class for STEAM. This unit focused on chemical reactions, carbon emissions, and inequalities. This unit was very short compared to the other two but still enough time to learn everything we needed to get to. When working on the chemical reactions we talked about how certain molecules reacted to from something else. The main molecules we worked with were oxygen (O2), carbon dioxide (CO2), and water (H2O). Since the unit was only a couple weeks long there was not much time for Field Experiences so the only one that we had was going to a water cooling facility in downtown Chicago. Here we learned about how this plant cools down water for nearby buildings by using ice. I thought this FE was really cool and it was interesting to hear about the projects that they did and how they got them done. A lot of their work when connecting their water to the buildings involves large pipes underground which can be a difficulty when in a busy city. One of thei...

The Drinking Bird Clock

Welcome back to my blog. This post is for the third Action Project of the STEAM class Light, Sound, and Time. This unit, Time, has been all about how we perceive time and what it actually is. We first questioned when time originated and why we believe time began directly after the Big Bang. Then, we looked at older methods of telling time such as using the position of the sun for a sundial. We also looked at longitude and latitude and how we determine our position because of it. For determining latitude, you can use the North Star if you are in the Northern Hemisphere or a sextant which is a device that uses mirrors to find the angle of the sun to the horizon. For determining longitude, you can use time zones and Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). To continue our examination of time-telling devices, we spent time studying pendulums and the Foucault pendulum which is a pendulum that can rotate 360 degrees and show how the Earth will rotate beneath it if it were at the North Pole. For Field Expe...